Yesterday I was preparing our “calendar” work packets that we call “Building Skills.”
There are 5 different types of papers we will use for the months of November, December, and January.
These are what each page looks like.
Here is how it looked in my classroom today.
My students gather around the carpet while I display the image on the whiteboard (my iPad was being a wee bit crabby, so it was a smooched image… ahh… technology!)
I am able to walk around and support students as needed, but honestly, at this point, they are pretty independent. I mostly get out of their way!
These are some of the skills we worked on today.
1. I tell the students, “The answer is 4 scarecrows.” Then they draw the answer and raise their hands to tell me a story problem. Such as, “There were 5 scarecrows in the field, but one blew over.”
As time goes on we, will write incredible equations for 4.
2. We draw a domino (and work on our subitizing skills). We then write and solve the equation.
3. We work on writing mechanics and handwriting.
4. They have to guess the mystery number. I write a number on a scrap of paper. Then they guess the number. I tell them if their guess was more or less than my mystery number. The scratch off the numbers and make additional guesses until they guess it correctly. Good fun
5. This is what it looks like when it is complete.
Tomorrow we will have another set of different skills we will work on.
These pages are from Building Skills Unit 2
or you can save with the bundle.
Hope you had a great Monday!
Get Your Free Guide!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email and this free Parent's Guide to Phonemic Awareness!