Chapter 3 of Math Work Stations by Debbie Diller is all about making it work. I have had a lot of questions about how I fit it all in. Let me show you.
|Click to download|
Math Workshop Schedule
- Mini-lesson (core curriculum, whole group guided practice)~15 mins
- Math Work Station #1 (I meet with my intervention students)~15 mins
- Regroup/Refocus (student clean up and meet me at the carpet)~5 mins
- Math Work Station #2 (I meet with a small group)~15 mins
- Regroup/Reflect (student share time)~5-8 mins
|I will insert pictures from my 2011-2012 class|
|I will add photos of my 2011-2012 students demonstrating these behaviors.|
|Click on the photo to go to Really Good Stuff|
Students place their finished stations (literacy and math) work in one of these magazine organizers. The color on the organizers corresponds with their table color. Once a day, I select a child from each table to grab their bin. The students then sort their papers onto their desks. I can then quickly look through their work. They get a happy face (made with a SMELLY MARKER~Woo Hoo) on their paper if they have the following:
- Name on their paper
- Letters, words, numbers, and pictures (we approximate at the beginning of the year)
- Careful coloring (colors that make sense)
- Their best effort at completing the task
|Click on the image to download your copies|
I will copy the stations planning sheet and common core standards back-to-back. This way, I will keep these standards handy and in my mind!!! Some stations never change… just the materials (computer and reading about math). I modify the stations on a weekly basis (odd stations one week, even the next). Sometimes I change the activity, but most of the time the activity remains similar, just the materials get modified.
I know a lot of us like to teach thematically. I think this can be accomplished without too much trouble as long as we keep the activity familiar. I will show you more on this during Chapter 4, so hang in there!
Whew! This was a HUGE chapter! Thank you Sylvia for hosting it.