When I first started teaching I was flat broke! Sound familiar?
But I wanted to have color coordinated pillows for my classroom library… So I made some!
These pillows are about 5 years old so they are a little frayed. They are balancing on top of Theodora’s cage. She loves it~makes her feel like a cave dwelling guinea pig!
These are super simple and CHEAP! Here’s how:
- I rounded up some pillow forms. I had some that went with my old comforter set and a few bedroom pillows that had lost their um-pf!
- I bought some inexpensive bathroom towels at Wally World.
- Then I wrapped the towel around the pillow form and pin the sides. Since not all pillows are the exact same size, this makes your pattern and determines where you want to run your seam.
- Then, with my handy-dandy Brother sewing machine, I run two seams (see the picture).
- Turn the towel inside out and you have a pocket to slide your pillow into.
I love that they are durable and washable! I take them home several times a year and toss the towel into the washing machine. I have never had a problem with the l-word (rhymes with twice), but if I did, a trip to the washer would solve it.
My students drag these all over the classroom. They are wonderful for buddy reading. Two kiddos can sit on a standard sized pillow. It keeps them close and comfy!
I am thinking I may want to remake some this summer. I may splurge and pay more than the $1.97 each for the towels. I may even add a color coordinated ribbon or something along those lines.
You guys are so creative, so I would love to see what you come up with. If you do make some, comment with a link to your blog (or email me photos). I can then post them for you.
Get Your Free Guide!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email and this free Parent's Guide to Phonemic Awareness!