SUPER CHARGE your read-aloud lesson plans with these print and teach activities for Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg! These interactive reading lesson plans will guide you through your daily instruction in reading comprehension, responding to literature, sentence studies with mentor sentences, crafts, and more!
These No Prep Print and Go Lesson Plans will save your teaching life! SERIOUSLY!!!
WHY TEACHERS LOVE THESE READ-ALOUD LESSONS AND ACTIVITIES:
- These book lessons are so easy to use. Our scripted lessons take the guesswork out of your interactive read alouds planning!
- Reading Comprehension skills are taught spirally all year. This research-based approach helps make practice permanent and ensures students will revisit various reading comprehension skills in REAL WORLD literature.
- Tier 2 Vocabulary is introduced and studied each week with lessons that stick!
- A variety of comprehension assessments that include scoring rubrics, multiple-choice, and true/false tests.
HOW DO THE ENGAGING READERS READ ALOUD LESSONS WORK?
The teacher does the reading work while the students do the thinking work. These lessons are grounded in research. It is said that the person doing the most talking is the person who is doing the most learning. SO these lessons scaffold instruction to get students talking. Side-by-side, students learn comprehension strategies such as Predicting, Visualizing, Retelling, Text Details, Connecting, Inferring, Character Analysis, Opinion Writing and so much more. You won’t believe how quickly students fall in love with your read-aloud time.
Brain research reveals that reading comprehension starts with listening comprehension. Since kindergarten, first-grade students, and second-grade students have listening skills that far surpass their ability to decode words, it is imperative that they participate in daily deep conversations surrounding books that allow them to strengthen their thinking! Don’t wait! Start building pathways to deeper thinking today!
These units can be used on their own or as a supplement to your current reading curriculum. They are simply the easiest and most enjoyable way to drive up student engagement. Join the thousands of teachers who have transformed their ELA block.
This Read Aloud Lesson Resource Includes:
- 5 Day Interactive read-aloud discussion lesson plans
- Reading comprehension strategies to help all students deepen their connections and engagement to books. A variety of response page options are available so you can select the one that works best for your students.
- Full-color pictorial retelling cards that can be printed or used as a PowerPoint pictorial retelling file for your whiteboard. This sets students up for success! The pictures support students as they strengthen their oral language.
- Interactive writing to support your students where they are.
- Anchor chart ideas for comprehension strategies for each book
- Vocabulary study
- Sentence Study
- Two crafts
- Rubrics for each response activity
- Common Core Standards and TEKS standards checklist
✎A Literacy Center at two different levels
✎A Math Center at two different levels
✂Train Craft Project for retelling
✂Pajama Glyph Craft with patterns and data analysis sheet
✎Printable word search
✎Printable Math Games
✎Printable Noun/Verb Sort
✎Math Journal Prompts
FEEDBACK FROM TEACHERS JUST LIKE YOU!
Mister Kindergarten says, “Polar Express Day is one of my favorite days of the year! This unit was absolutely amazing – and thoroughly engaging for my kinders. Thank you so much!”
Krista C. says, “This was perfect for Polar Express week! I always struggled with finding meaningful activities centered on this book, and this unit did not disappoint!”
Jennifer S. says, “The Polar Express is always a highlight of our December activities. This product gave me new ideas to make it even more engaging for my students. The vocabulary, comprehension and interactive writing kept my students engaged. The math and literacy centers were a highlight of our pajama day and I appreciated that they were differentiated allowing each student to be successful!”
NOTE: This isn’t a packet of worksheets. These Engaging Readers read-aloud lessons and activities actually guide you through the process of using quality read-aloud books to teach the standards for reading comprehension.
This interactive read-aloud unit will save you hours of work because EVERYTHING is all planned out with easy-to-follow lesson plans. Just add the book!
Just PRINT and TEACH! These read-aloud lessons focus on one book and take you through a variety of lessons to get your kids reading like never before.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: Are these research-based lessons?
A: Yes! We have extensively researched the best practices surrounding reading instruction. You will find the resources that guided our thinking in the preview.
Q: Will these work with my current reading program?
A: Absolutely! Use the components that work best for your students.
ADDITIONAL ENGAGING READERS BOOK TITLES CAN BE FOUND IN THESE BUNDLES:
CHECK OUT SOME OF OUR OTHER ENGAGING READERS UNITS: