Are you looking for a reading comprehension and phonics curriculum for your K-2 classroom? SUPER CHARGE your read aloud lesson plans with these print and teach activities! These interactive reading lesson plans will guide you through your daily instruction in reading comprehension, responding to literature, sentence and grammar studies, vocabulary lesson, crafts and more! Also included is 3 yearlong phonics curriculums for kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade.
These No Prep Print and Go Lesson Plans will save your teaching life! SERIOUSLY!!!
WHY TEACHERS LOVE THESE READ ALOUD LESSON PLANS AND ACTIVITIES
- These book lessons are so easy to use. Our scripted lessons take the guesswork out of your interactive read alouds planning!
- Reading Comprehension skills are taught spirally all year. This research-based approach helps make practice permanent and ensures students will revisit various reading comprehension skills in REAL WORLD literature.
- Tier 2 Vocabulary is introduced and studied each week with lessons that stick!
- Sentence and grammar study is incorporated into each read aloud.
- A variety of comprehension assessments that include scoring rubrics, multiple choice, and true/false tests.
- Common Core State Standards and TEKS standards aligned for kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
HOW DO THE ENGAGING READERS READ ALOUD LESSON PLANS WORK?
The teacher does the reading work while the students do the thinking work. These lessons are grounded in research. It is said that the person doing the most talking is the person who is doing the most learning. SO these lessons scaffold instruction to get students talking. Side-by-side, students learn comprehension strategies such as Predicting, Visualizing, Retelling, Text Details, Connecting, Inferring, Character Analysis, Opinion Writing and so much more. You won’t believe how quickly students fall in love with your read-aloud time.
Brain research reveals that reading comprehension starts with listening comprehension. Since kindergarten, first grade students, and second grade students have listening skills that far surpass their ability to decode words, it is imperative that they participate in daily deep conversations surrounding books that allow them to strengthen their thinking! Don’t wait! Start building pathways to deeper thinking today!
These units can be used on their own or as a supplement to your current reading curriculum. They are simply the easiest and most enjoyable way to drive up student engagement. Join the thousands of teachers who have transformed their ELA block.
EACH BOOK INCLUDES DAILY:
- 5 Day Interactive read aloud discussion lesson plans
- Reading comprehension strategies to help all students deepen their connections and engagement to books. A variety of response page options are available so you can select the one that works best for your students.
- Full color pictorial retelling cards that can be printed or used as a PowerPoint pictorial retelling file for your whiteboard. This sets students up for success! The pictures support students as they strengthen their oral language.
- Interactive writing to support your students where they are.
- Anchor chart ideas for comprehension strategies for each book
- Sentence study and activities for each day of the week.
- Grammar study for each day of the week
- Phonics for Kindergarten and first grade
- Phonics for 2nd grade (new update for 2022-2023 school year!)
- A craft for each book.
- Rubrics for each response activity
- True/False comprehension assessment
- Multiple choice comprehension assessment
- Common Core Standards and TEKS standards checklist
- Additionally, reading and phonics assessments have been added to ESGI which you can access for FREE with your ESGI subscription.
- You can get 2 months of ESGI for FREE by clicking https://www.esgisoftware.com/ and using code PD825.
View the preview for more details!
THE BOOKS NEEDED FOR THIS YEAR LONG BUNDLE ARE:
The books needed for the August/September unit are:
•I Was So Mad by Mercer Mayer
•Alexander and the Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst
•Clark the Shark by Bruce Hale
•The Art Lesson By Tomie dePaola
•Martha Speaks By Susan Meddaugh
•How Do Apples Grow? by Betsy Maestro
The books needed for October are:
•Creepy Carrots by Aaron Reynolds
•Stellaluna by Janell Cannon
•Leonardo the Terrible Monster by Mo Willems
•Pumpkin Circle by George Levenson
The books needed for November are:
•White Owl, Barn Owl by Nicola Davies
•Scarecrow by Cynthia Rylant
•In November by Cynthia Rylant
•A Turkey for Thanksgiving by Eve Bunting
The books needed for December are:
•Gingerbread Baby by Jan Brett
•Snow is Falling by Franklyn M. Branley
•Ordinary Mary’s Extraordinary Deed by Emily Pearson
•Earrings! by Judith Viorst
The books needed for January are:
•Sneezy the Snowman by Maureen Wright
•The Emperor’s Egg by Martin Jenkins
•Martin’s BIG Words by Doreen Rappaport
•Snow by Cynthia Rylant
The books needed for February are:
•Pinkalicious By Victoria & Elizabeth Kann
•I Ain’t Gonna Paint No More by By Karen Beaumont
•How to Heal a Broken Wing By Bob Graham
•The Moons Seems to Change By Franklyn M. Branley
The books needed for March are:
•Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay up Late by Mo Willems
•The Pigeon Needs a Bath by Mo Willems
•Growing Frogs by Vivian French
•City Dog, Country Frog by Mo Willems
•Chester by Melanie Watt
The books needed for April are:
•April Foolishness by Teresa Bateman
•Pigsty by Mark Teague
•Insect Detective by Steve Voake
•The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
The books needed for May are:
•The Watermelon Seed by Greg Pizzoli
•Enemy Pie by Derek Munson
•One Tiny Turtle by Nicola Davies
•My Mama Had a Dancing Heart by Libba Moore Gray
The books needed for June are:
•The Snatchabook by Helen Docherty
•Surprising Sharks by Nicola Davies
•A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon
•The Pout-Pout Fish by Deborah Diesen
NOTE: This isn’t a packet of worksheets. These Engaging Readers read aloud lessons and activities actually guide you through the process of using quality read-aloud books to teach the standards for reading comprehension.
This interactive read aloud unit will save you hours of work because EVERYTHING is all planned out with easy to follow lesson plans. Just add the book!
Just PRINT and TEACH! Each week focuses on one book and takes you through a variety of lessons to get your kids reading like never before.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: Are these research based lessons?
A: Yes! We have extensively researched the best practices surrounding reading instruction. You will find the resources that guided our thinking in the preview.
Q: Will these work with my current reading program?
A: Absolutely! Use the components that work best for your students.
FEEDBACK FROM TEACHERS JUST LIKE YOU!
Joelle Gere says, “These lessons are amazing! This work prepares students for thinking as they listen/read. Students are learning thinking strategies and better preparing themselves for what is expected in grades 1 and up. I love the titles we have read so far. The student pages vary so I can use the easier sheets at the beginning of the year with my kinders who can only illustrate. By the end of the year we can transition to the assignments with lines and my students will be able to grow and show all their thinking and learning with pictures and words. I wish I had found this resource years ago!”
Melissa M. says, “I LOVE this resource! I have bought both set 1 and 2. There is MORE in each than I can use each week. I love how it teaches reading skills like making connections, inferences, etc. with books that the students really enjoy. The plans are super easy to leave for a guest teacher as well. And we love the crafts that go with the lessons!”
Aerin B. says, “This resource has covered everything when it comes to teaching reading. I never feel like I am missing anything and it is super engaging and easy to implement in any classroom. You are able to adjust your instruction based on your classroom needs. I love how we can use one book for an entire week and never become bored with it.”
Diane V. says, “I love this product!!! I own the first set as well. This provides so many rich opportunities for my students to record text evidence with excellent children’s literature. There are sooooo many amazing comprehension activities. Excellent resource. So worth the price. Thank you!”
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR THE SEESAW AND GOOGLE SLIDES VERSIONS OF THE READING COMPREHENSION?
We have converted the reading comprehension portion of many of the ENGAGING READERS books. These converted files are not included in this unit. If you would prefer, you are welcome to convert this file to a digital version. However, if you want it all done for you, you can find the listing of these resources by clicking HERE.