35 writing mentor text illustrative writing mini-lessons for kindergarten, first grade and second grade students! These low-prep mini lessons are just print and teach. All you need is a book. Your students will love extending their writing and you will love these engaging texts!
This unit features the writing mentor texts:
- A Dog Named Doug by Karma Wilson
- Dude by Aaron Reynolds
- Little Red and the Very Hungry Lion by Alex T. Smith
- They All Saw a Cat by Brendan Wenzel
- Dancing Hands by Margarita Engle
- I Walk with Vanessa by Kerascoet
- Mapping Sam by Joyce Hesselberth.
Each writing mini-lesson provides the following:
- Writing focus “big idea”
- A description of how the illustrative lesson transfers to the skills writers use. We call it, “How this helps the writer.”
- A scripted writing mini-lesson that takes the guesswork out of your explicit writing instruction.
- Grade level modifications for kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
- A modeled writing example you can use to help guide you during your writing mini-lesson.
- A writing anchor chart that will help your students notice and name various writing techniques.
These writing mini-lessons are easily transferable for various writing genres including:
- narrative writing
- fiction writing
- non-fiction writing
- informational text writing
This unit is intended to provide additional writing ideas and inspiration to your classroom. They do not replace a systematic explicit writers workshop curriculum.
You will want to have or be in the process of establishing a strong writers workshop environment. This means your students are already participating in daily writers workshop mini-lessons with opportunities to write on topics of their own choosing. If you do not have a writers workshop curriculum, you may be interested in our
Best Selling units that we wrote starting in 2012.
- Writing Through the Year: Writers Workshop for Kindergarten and First Grade Bundle
- Writing Through the Year: Writers Workshop for Second Grade Bundle.
Thousands of teachers have implemented writers workshop using our explicit writing lessons. They have written to us and expressed how these lessons have changed their classrooms because they are now confident in the lessons they teach. They also tell us that their students love writing and have reached new levels as authors!
What other teachers are saying about these illustration study mini lesson sets:
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ “I love this addition to Writer’s Workshop!”
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ “My class has loved walking in the footsteps this year! Now the kids are begging for more!”
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ “Little Red and the Very Hungry Lion has been a favorite illustrative study so far. There are lots of enjoyable author and illustrator craft moves in this book far more than there are included minilessons. We could keep going with this book for another week and we just may!”
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ “Such a great resource to add to your writing workshop. It makes illustrating so much more meaningful. Thanks so much!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ “Dancing Hands – I loved this one so much that it will be making its way into a summer school program I am teaching this summer (2021). I appreciate that you opted to include a biography in the illustrative study units you created. It can be so hard to squeeze in content and when it can be integrated into writing that is so helpful for kiddos!”
If you bought one of these sets individually, you will still be able to download them. Simply go to “My Purchases” on TpT and you will still have access to the lessons.
NOTE: If you are a member of The Clever School Teacher Membership Site this unit is included in your 2019-2020 membership files. DO NOT purchase this file, as you already own it.