Riddle of the Day | December
Riddle of the Day is a fantastic activity that reinforces reading skills such as inferring and looking for text evidence… AND … it is FUN!
This pack contains:
- 20 Original Riddles of the Day with the answers
- PDF and Image files
- You can use the image files to embed in your interactive whiteboard
- Full color and black/white images are included
How to use this unit:
Many years ago, I incorporated the Riddle of the Day into my daily routine. This is what it looked like back then:
- Each morning, when my students walked in, I would have a riddle written out and waiting for them on chart paper.
- As my students trickled in, I read the riddle to them.
- Students would then take a scrape of paper (small 2” x 2” paper from the recycle bin) and draw a picture for what they thought the answer was.
- Students would fold up their answers and place them in a plastic bag, but you can use a cup.
- After our pledge, I would read the riddle again and I would begin to tally mark the guesses.
- We would then count the tally marks and write the numerals. You can have a quick discussion about more/less, how many more crayons than chalk… You can even graph your data.
- Next, we would start to read the riddle again while digging into the clues.
- As we read each line, we think If that was a good clue and if we should cross out any guesses.
- Usually, we are left with a few possible answers. We look at the initial sounds to determine which was the correct one.
- We also return to the poem and underline the words that helped us the most.
- Over time, students will begin to pay attention to the text clues…plus it is fun!
TIP: You can also go back to this riddle and look for certain letters, words, rhyming words, 2 syllable words… the possibilities are endless. It would make a fun center activity too!
NOTE: If you were a member of the CLEVER SCHOOL TEACHER MEMBERSHIP Site, this file was included in your December 2019 LOOT! Do not purchase this file again as it is exactly the same.