Digital Calendar and morning meeting rolled into one! YES! Your students will reap the benefits without all the planning and prep work! These calendar and morning meeting activities help guide your kindergarten and first-grade students’ classroom talk and give purpose to partner discussions. Fun and engaging so it will never get old!
The digital calendar is evergreen, so you won’t need to buy one every year. Simply drag the activity to the calendar spot then click on the hyperlink to jump to that page.
HERE ARE SOME MORNING MEETING ACTIVITIES YOU WILL FIND IN EACH MONTHLY MORNING MEETING POWERPOINT:
- Move the date on the calendar into place and create a pattern.
- Move the day of the week into place on the calendar as well
- Move the weather icon into the calendar to record the daily weather.
- Select from one of 6 different discussion ideas for the day.
- This calendar is formatted so it can be used year after year.
DIGITAL WEATHER CHART:
- Track the daily weather with the interactive weather graph.
- Review and analyze the weather graph.
DAILY CALENDAR SLIDES FOR THE NUMBER OF THE DAY:
- Guess the number of the day (teacher or student can select)
- Determine and record if it is odd or even.
- Show the number on the ten frames
- Write the numbers that come before or after.
- Show the number of the day in tally marks.
DIGITAL HUNDREDS CHART/DAYS IN SCHOOL:
- Record the number of days in school on the 100’s chart and Days in School chart.
The daily meeting is intended to bring students together for discussion and talk. Morning meetings work best when they are part of your classroom routine. These daily activities are planned out for you. Each month has between 25-30 individual discussion and/or activity ideas for your morning meeting.
Make sure to watch the video preview to see this resource in action! Since this resource is digital it is ready to use in the classroom or through distance learning. Keep the morning meeting routine consistent no matter where or how school is happening.
WHY ARE MORNING MEETINGS IMPORTANT?
- They help build classroom community.
- Morning meetings help to establish consistent routines and expectations.
- Morning meetings help to encourage higher-level thinking.
- Additionally, students practice listening and speaking skills.
- Students will practice cooperative learning during morning meetings.
- These morning meetings are also paperless. No Prep, just project!
THEN EACH DAY, YOU CAN SELECT ONE OF THESE FUN MORNING MEETING DISCUSSION IDEAS TO COMPLETE WITH YOUR CLASS.
MORNING MEETING DIGITAL MAD LIBS:
5 fill-in-the-blank Mad lib stories that are thematic to each month. Students will practice with word categories like names, numbers, colors, verbs, nouns, favorite foods, and many more.
MORNING MEETING DIGITAL FUN FACTS:
Fun facts that are thematically linked to each month. This offers an opportunity to discuss these nonfiction topics.
MORNING MEETING DIGITAL PICTURE OF THE DAY:
Photographs that BEG to be discussed. Students will discuss the details they see and infer what they might think is going on in the picture. These morning meeting activities really strengthen partner and student discussion.
MORNING MEETING DIGITAL WHAT WOULD YOU DO SLIDES?:
Character development prompts and scenarios for students to discuss with their partners. This is a wonderful way to build community.
MORNING MEETING DIGITAL QUESTION OF THE DAY:
These are academic questions for students to answer. There are separate questions for kindergarten and first grade.
MORNING MEETING DIGITAL I HAVE AN OPINION:
Students will express their opinion and provide reasons for their opinion. This is a great reinforcement that will come in handy when students are asked to write about their opinions.
These Morning Meeting PowerPoint files are ready to project onto your SmartBoard or interactive whiteboard. They can also be quickly loaded and used in Google Classroom. Fonts and images are embedded so you will not have formatting issues.
NOTE: This activity is intended to be completed with the support of the teacher. During morning meetings, the idea is to facilitate talk and discussion between students. This is not an activity that is “assigned” to kindergarten or first-grade students.
We have even included an instructional video and help guide if you need a little technical assistance.
These morning meeting ideas will free up your planning time while providing fun grade-level appropriate and engaging activities.