Kindergarten color by number worksheets. These easy to prep worksheets are highly engaging and provide students with a fun way to practice letters and sight words. The activities are editable so you can enter your own focus letters and words.
Kindergarten Color by Number Printable Worksheets
Sometimes a crayon is more than just a crayon. For kindergarten teachers, crayons (or markers) and color by number worksheets, can be your superpower!
Need a customizable way to help your kindergarteners to learn color words, sight words, and letters? Can’t find one that’s specific to the exact letters and words you’re currently teaching? Nope, I couldn’t find one either. So, I worked on a solution.
Why use Color by Sight Word and letter activities?
Early education research tells us that letters and sight words are best learned with direct instruction. With this set of programmable themed worksheets, my students and I now have a great way to have intentional and specific practice with any sight word list, or letter, we are working on that day.
These are definitely not routine low-skill standard coloring pages or kindergarten worksheets! I made these just for you, dear tired and busy teacher! Like ordering a pizza with ALL your favorite toppings—using this unit, gives you a fast, easy way to create the EXACT coloring worksheets you need. For daily lessons or specific reviews, these are an unbelievably great tool! If you are looking for more letter recognition activities, check out this blog post:
When students complete color code worksheets, they have so much fun learning, even though they think they’re just having fun coloring! With these activities, what looks just like a coloring activity is actually enhancing your students’ cognitive development.
For example, following the coloring directions correctly, and in the right sequence, seems simple enough. It’s actually an important skill that our kindergarten students need to master.
What else can your kindergarten students learn from these coloring printables?
- Color vocabulary: Knowledge of color words, both on the worksheet page and on the crayon.
- Color Recognition: Can they identify and name the color they see? Yes, some students haven’t mastered that yet, even older kids sometimes. You’ll find that you always have students who need extra practice with color recognition.
- Grit and persistence: While most digital resources, apps, and other educational activities offer instant gratification, there’s something wonderful about seeing a student have the grit and persistence to complete the work! In fact, this holds true for kids of all ages, they get so excited about having the stamina to focus and keep at their task!
- Satisfaction and Pride: There’s nothing like that big smile when they see the picture that appears when they correctly complete the color-coded drawing!
These color by number activities are very efficient tools for learning colors and color code work with letters and sight words. I know because I have lots of teachers tell me that they absolutely love using them for morning work, early finishers and literacy centers, too.
Check out this set of color by letter and sight word worksheets:
If you need to brush up on sight word instruction, here’s exactly what you need, plus a free file too!
Figuring out how to provide targeted RTI activities for students who have different needs can be mind-boggling. You already have so much on your plate! Here comes your new best friend! This activity for identifying letters is phenomenal and it’s worked really well with students I’ve worked with. All you need to do is ENTER the letters and words that your student needs help with! This set of editable and programmable letter identification activities takes just a few minutes for you to customize and create!
I originally made it to be used as an easy way to help my students who needed specific targeted RTI activities. I knew I needed it to be fully editable to suit my students’ intervention needs with letter identification. I’m so thrilled that it’s helped so many teachers and kids with letter learning.
Remember from the research on letter teaching, the data shows that the best practices are:
- Letter of the day is much more effective than letter of the week.
- Kids learn best from forming the letter with the right path of motion (handwriting is so valuable to the letter-learning process!)
- When students practice writing letters, they can identify them better.
- Kids learn letters best by following a routine: these printables are in a routine format that they come to know and thrive with, yet your ability to change themes, keeps them engaged!
- Kids learn best by seeing the target letters in a variety of print formats: they learn from the routine of the coloring sheets, but are still stimulated by the variety of themes.
The unit is designed so that each day of the week, students will do a different activity to practice identifying the letter and forming the letter. These activities also help with hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills, and color recognition, too.
EASY TO PREPARE AND ENGAGING ACTIVITIES
Imagine being able to make a set of printable activities for the EXACT needs of your students. You can also use them in centers, or pair them with a student helper from an older grade. Another great way to help your RTI students is to have your classroom support person, or parent volunteer, sit with them and work on the skills they need, with these practice activities made just for them.
These editable themed worksheets have been one of the most efficient tools for helping students I work with. I’m just thrilled that they’ve also received rave reviews from other teachers who’ve seen epic levels of progress in their RTI students! When you need targeted instruction, this set is your go-to! Easy to customize, and easy to use—it’s a win-win for you and your students!
Looking for similarly helpful and programmable activities for math skills and math facts? This bundle has tons of engaging math center activities that come in a variety of themes. It would be a perfect addition to your center activities and will take you through the whole year! So many great educational activities, all at a big bundle discount!