SUPER CHARGE your read-aloud lesson plans with these print and teach activities for Tacky and the Winter Games by Helen Lester! This is perfect for this year’s Winter Olympics! These interactive reading lesson plans will guide you through your daily instruction in reading comprehension, responding to literature, sentence studies with mentor sentences, crafts, and more!
These No Prep Print and Go Lesson Plans will save your teaching life! SERIOUSLY!!!
WHY TEACHERS LOVE THESE READ-ALOUD LESSONS AND ACTIVITIES
- These book lessons are so easy to use. Our scripted lessons take the guesswork out of your interactive read alouds planning!
- Reading Comprehension skills are taught spirally all year. This research-based approach helps make practice permanent and ensures students will revisit various reading comprehension skills in REAL WORLD literature.
- Tier 2 Vocabulary
- Sentence and grammar study is incorporated into each read-aloud.
- A variety of comprehension assessments that include scoring rubrics, multiple-choice, and true/false tests.
HOW DO THE ENGAGING READERS READ ALOUD LESSONS WORK?
The teacher does the reading work while the students do the thinking work. These lessons are grounded in research. It is said that the person doing the most talking is the person who is doing the most learning. SO these lessons scaffold instruction to get students talking. Side-by-side, students learn comprehension strategies such as Predicting, Visualizing, Retelling, Text Details, Connecting, Inferring, Character Analysis, Opinion Writing and so much more. You won’t believe how quickly students fall in love with your read-aloud time.
Brain research reveals that reading comprehension starts with listening comprehension. Since kindergarten, first-grade students, and second-grade students have listening skills that far surpass their ability to decode words, it is imperative that they participate in daily deep conversations surrounding books that allow them to strengthen their thinking! Don’t wait! Start building pathways to deeper thinking today!
These units can be used on their own or as a supplement to your current reading curriculum. They are simply the easiest and most enjoyable way to drive up student engagement. Join the thousands of teachers who have transformed their ELA block.
THIS WINTER OLYMPIC BOOK UNIT INCLUDES DAILY:
- 5 Day Interactive read-aloud discussion lesson plans
- Reading comprehension strategies to help all students deepen their connections and engagement with books. A variety of response page options are available so you can select the one that works best for your students.
- Full-color pictorial retelling cards that can be printed or used as a PowerPoint pictorial retelling file for your whiteboard. This sets students up for success! The pictures support students as they strengthen their oral language.
- Interactive writing to support your students where they are.
- Anchor chart ideas for comprehension strategies for each book
- Sentence study
- A craft
- Rubrics for each response activity
- True/False comprehension assessment
- Multiple choice comprehension assessment
- Common Core Standards and TEKS standards checklist
- Additionally, reading and phonics assessments have been added to ESGI which you can access for FREE with your ESGI subscription.
- You can get 2 months of ESGI for FREE by clicking https://www.esgisoftware.com/ and using code PD825.
THE BOOK NEEDED FOR THIS SET OF READ ALOUD LESSON PLANS:
•TACKY AND THE WINTER GAMES
NOTE: This isn’t a packet of worksheets. These Engaging Readers read-aloud lessons and activities actually guide you through the process of using quality read-aloud books to teach the standards for reading comprehension.
This interactive read-aloud unit will save you hours of work because EVERYTHING is all planned out with easy-to-follow lesson plans. Just add the book!
Just PRINT and TEACH! Each week focuses on one book and takes you through a variety of lessons to get your kids reading like never before.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: Are these research-based lessons?
A: Yes! We have extensively researched the best practices surrounding reading instruction. You will find the resources that guided our thinking in the preview.
Q: Will these work with my current reading program?
A: Absolutely! Use the components that work best for your students.
FEEDACK FROM TEACHERS JUST LIKE YOU!
Brandy R. says, “This resource is my FAVORITE purchase from TPT this school year. I am contemplating purchasing the year-long bundle because my K students and I enjoyed these activities so much.”
April G. says, “The engaging readers reading comprehension is the best thing I have purchased on TPT! It sparks a love for books while packing in SO much of what you need to cover in ELA in one fun engaging punch. Make your life easier and follow this program your students and their parents will thank you!!”
Tabitha S. says, “My kindergartners love these lessons and they are thriving!!! It is so hard to find engaging and meaningful curriculum to match with our youngest learners. You ladies outdid yourselves!!!”
Leading Little Lambs says, “I loved this book study! I use all of the engaging readers with my kinder & 1st grade class. These are great resources and can easily be used with groups of mixed abilities. ”