Classroom phonics games to support beginning and ending sounds, letter blends, digraphs, CVC & CVCe words. Your kindergarten and first grade students will love racing each other to complete their game cards in these fun phonics activities.
Classroom Phonics Games
Young learners can always benefit from practicing phonics skills. Whether it’s individual sounds – beginning or ending letter sounds in September, CVC words in November, or CVCe words in April… It’s All. Year. Long! We know that phonics should be taught and practiced in a variety of ways. These fun phonics games are a great way to keep your students engaged while they develop those, oh so, important skills.
How Do Students Play the Game?
Using games in the classroom is one of my favorite ways for students to practice words. Each student has their own board game and works to add the different sounds in order to build each word. The players take turns spinning the spinner and adding the specific sound to their game card. The game continues until a player fills their game board. Such a fun way to practice short vowel words, consonant blends, word families, and more. It’s like a scavenger hunt!
We’ve included 14 phonics games in all, covering various literacy skills:
- Beginning Sounds – Students add a single letter to the beginning of each word.
- Ending Sounds – Students identify the missing final sounds for each word.
- Beginning Blends & Digraphs – Students determine the missing sounds at the beginning of each word. L blends, r blends, & s blends are included.
- CVC and CVCe Words – Students add the beginning, middle and ending sound in each CVC word. They add the long vowel sound and consonant sound that follow for each lazy e word.
When Can You Use the Games in Your Classroom?
Literacy centers, intervention time, or small groups provide great opportunities to break out these games in your classroom. After a quick introduction, students become independent – especially with the ” I Can/Spinner” page. The skills change, but the rules don’t! These fun games are the perfect way to practice phonics concepts any time throughout the year.
I found these small spinners on Amazon that work perfectly!
You can even add a response sheet for individual students to write the simple words they made.
Your whole class will have so much fun with these phonics games. Click below to add this fun and engaging game to your classroom!
Check out some other blog posts for more ideas on incorporating phonics throughout your day.
- Kindergarten Journal Prompts
- Poetry in Kindergarten
- Educational Games & Apps
- Teaching Phonics following the Science of Reading
Are you looking for more card games and fun learning for young children? Here are a few things to check out: