Piggie Pie Lessons for kindergarten and first grade. Reading comprehension, directed drawing, center ideas, and a fun STEM activity too!
Could there be a more fun book to read with your class than Piggie Pie by Marie Palatini?
Piggie Pie Lessons: Reading Comprehension
First, let’s look at these illustrations!
So fun! Some of the reading comprehension strategies we used for this book are: predicting, visualizing, and connecting.
Naturally, we also work on retelling the story too!
You can find all of these reading comprehension lessons and response pages by clicking:
Piggie Pie Lessons: Directed Drawing
Here are few of the directed drawings of Gritch! I love how directed drawings help students build confidence in their own illustrations but they all look so different too!
The directed drawing activity is also found in the link below:
Piggie Pie Lessons: STEM activity
The students also are asked to work collaboratively to build a pen for the piggies.
You can find the directions as well as the student planning and reflection papers by clicking:
Piggie Pie Lessons: Center Activities TOO!
Yes, we have center activities too to go along with this book!
You can find these differentiated center activities in the file below:
WANT TO SEE MORE PIGGIE PLAN LESSONS AND RUBRICS?
Please take a moment to check out Deanna Jump’s blog post about this fantastic book! She walks you through the assessment part of these Engaging Readers units:
You may download these lesson plans for kindergarten PDF or an editable template. I have used Hello Literacy Fonts (which are free for non-commercial use). You may want to download her fonts and install them on your computer first. This way the formatting will not be off. Naturally, you can change the fonts if you prefer.
- Do you need help in editing these visual lesson plans? Click: Tech Support for Teachers
- Download these plans by clicking HERE or on the image below.
WANT TO SEE OTHER LESSON PLANS LIKE THIS?
To see additional Lesson Plan Posts like this, click HERE.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN:
- How I manage stations (Click HERE to view)
- How to introduce stations at the beginning of the year
- What does a guided reading lesson look like
- Literacy station ideas
- Math station ideas
- Early Finishers “I’m DONE!”
- Writers workshop nuts and bolts
- Reading workshop nuts and bolts
- Math workshop questions answered
- Classroom behavior and expectations
- Organizing for Instruction (click HERE to view)
- Guided Reading 2 Day Lesson Plans